In This Blog You Will Find:
Guidance on where to save and spend money in your custom home selections. Save on roofing, flooring, lighting fixtures, countertops, hardware, layout & size. Spend on foundation, insulation, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, windows and storage options.
Budget plays a large role in making decisions about your dream custom home. Some budgets are tighter than others. We have put together some tips for where to save and where you should spend on your custom home.
Items Where You Can Save Money in Your Calgary Custom Home:
- Roofing: When selecting your roofing material for your Calgary custom home consider asphalt shingles. This option is easy to install and low-cost. Asphalt shingles can last 20-50 years, making them a durable option as well. Click here to read our blog on roofing materials if you want to weigh all your options.
- Flooring: Walk into a flooring supplier’s showroom and you will see that there are many budget-friendly options to conder. A tip for cost savings is to incorporate carpet in the basement and bedrooms. Your Calgary custom home builder can help you select an affordable option throughout your home.
- Lighting Fixtures: Selecting lighting fixtures in your Calgary custom home can be a daunting task. For budget saving options consider energy-efficient lighting and using controls like timers and dimmers to save on electricity bills. Another tip to consider is putting money into eye-catching fixtures in areas of the home that they will be appreciated the most. Use budget-friendly options in places like hallways, bathrooms, laundry rooms, etc.
- Countertops: Countertops are an important selection in your Calgary custom home. A great option for cost savings is to mix and match your countertop selections. Consider laminate options in your laundry room and/or basement bathroom. Spend more on countertops that will be seen more often, like your kitchen counter. Engineer quartz countertops are a lower-cost option than marble and granite. Quartz comes in a wider variety of colours than granite and can be very durable. Your Calgary custom home builder will help you select the perfect countertops for your home.
- Hardware: Cabinet handles and hardware like towel racks, towel hooks and doorknobs are often overlooked in the selections process. Every little detail matters in your Calgary Custom Home. Handles and hardware should mix functionality and eye appeal to balance with the design elements of each space in your home. There are many premium options, but we suggest opting for simple options if you’re looking to save on your budget.
- Layout & Size: You may want a large, expansive custom home but have you considered the costs? Your Calgary custom home builder can help you design the perfect layout and size for your home that will help you meet your budget.
Items Where You Can Spend in Your Calgary Custom Home:
- Foundation: Foundation supports and bears the weight of your Calgary custom home. Being such a key item in the scope of your custom home project, you should not skimp on the costs of your foundation. Your Calgary custom home builder will help you select a trusted foundation contractor who produces excellent quality in their work.
- Insulation: Spending money at the beginning of your project for good insulation will help you save energy in your Calgary custom home build. Insulation helps keep your home at the desired temperature all year long, protecting against extreme temperatures. Did you know? Your walls lose about 30 to 40 percent of heat. This shows the importance of good insulation for temperature control and cost savings.
- Electrical, HVAC and Plumbing: At Sunset Homes, we work with reputable, experienced contractors who produce great quality work. Electrical, HVAC and plumbing are very important scopes in your Calgary custom home build. These contractors have excellent knowledge of code and work together to consider the precise location of your HVAC equipment, wiring and plumbing fixtures. These items are essential to the longevity of your home and are items where you shouldn’t necessarily choose the cheapest option. Get informed and work with a Calgary custom home builder who has reputable contractors.
- Windows: Windows offer entry of natural light, views of the neighbourhood and cross-ventilation. They offer efficiency, security and increase the resale value of your home. By installing high-quality, efficient windows your Calgary custom home’s value increases. Double and Triple-pane windows offer superior insulation by controlling the temperature within your home in harsh weather conditions. Your home’s windows are an important item in your custom home build.
- Storage Options: When building a custom home there are many design elements to consider; the utilization of home storage should not be overlooked. Ample storage space allows for strong organization and avoids clutter. Options to consider incorporating include; mudroom lockers, walk-in closets, linen closets, walk-in pantry, and home office storage. Your Calgary custom home builder can design the perfect layout for your home that incorporates the storage options your family would require.
If you are considering building a custom home in Calgary, there are many details to consider. Your custom home builder can help you build a home that matches your budget. Remember to save on items like roofing, flooring, lighting, countertops, hardware and layout. Items that you should spend on include foundation, insulation, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, windows and storage.
Ready to build your new custom home? Contact Sunset Homes today.