Most people will recognise that not all homes are created equal. There will always be times when you are home hunting, and you find the perfect home but it is just lacking that one thing that you just can’t live without.
That is where the benefits of custom house building come in and the concept of the forever home. The demand for a true forever home is certainly on the rise and in this guide we will introduce you to the different elements you need to think about when planning your forever home and when it’s a good time to start thinking about finding your home for the next 20 years.
When you are planning your forever home, do not just think about your needs now. You need to think long term, in 10 or 20 years from now. What additional rooms will you need, what is the goal, not just in terms of family, but what you want your home to become? For example, do you want to have a dedicated space to fitness or an entertainment room? A studio perhaps for a growing business or a workshop. All these things must be incorporated into the design now, so it fits in with your goals and aspirations for the future.
Are People Planning for Their Forever Custom Homes?
If a forever custom home is something that you want to aspire to, the planning starts now. If so, you need to start looking at the area. Will you be looking for Calgary infill home builders or a custom home builder in a different area? These are important considerations.
If you are planning to settle down in a particular area, hoping to start a family or establish a stable career whether that is in a 9 to 5 job or with your own business, investing in a forever home can be a financially sound and more comfortable option.
Buying, renovating, and selling property is a common strategy for climbing the property ladder, but perhaps the time has come to start putting down roots, not just for the next 3-5 years but for the next couple of decades.
A forever custom home will require forward planning and your finances will need to be carefully considered. The home itself must be suitable for decades of family living and life, with not only enough rooms for a growing family but one that features the required layout too. A single bathroom will not be adequate and it is a great idea to give kids their own space. A second living area is also advised and highly sought after. A home with the potential for more extensions can offer greater flexibility but most forever homeowners do not want to undertake a significant renovation.
What do people look for when planning their forever custom home?
- Flexibility – A forever custom home needs to be both exclusive and inclusive. It is no longer all about size. It is more important how flexible the space will be and how each space in the home will be used. While a large home is great with a family, when the children grow and move into their own homes, a larger house will be too big.One of the things that do seem to be on the increase is a second unit of accommodation or a studio, garage suite or laneway home. This is because housing is becoming so expensive, so the annex is used for grown children to have their own, self-contained space while saving to get onto the property ladder. It is also a great space that can be used for retirees, whether this is to open up the main home for children or to rent out for additional income. Having a space that can be closed or opened depending on demand is vital.
- Schools and Local Neighbourhood – Most people want something that is conveniently located and close to schools. People like to live in neighbourhoods where they feel like part of a close-knit community.
When is a good time to think about your forever custom home?
With these considerations, when is the right time to think about your forever home? Maybe you are currently living in a starter home, perhaps you want to jump onto the property ladder with a forever home from the outset, or maybe your circumstances are changing, and you are thinking longer term, there are lots of times when you might consider exploring the option of a custom built forever home such as:
- A feeling that you’ve outgrown your existing home - Maybe you have a growing family, you just need more room or you find that your current home isn’t working for you anymore, this is a sure sign that it may be time to start to think about another home - your forever home. Forever homes are usually much bigger, and they are designed around your needs, particularly if you opt for a custom built one.
- You’ve mastered homeownership - If you’re currently in a starter home and you’ve got an idea of what it takes to keep a house running successfully maybe you are thinking into the future. You might feel ready to move into your forever home, or moving somewhere that offers you more responsibility, and a chance to put down roots.
- Your Lifestyle and Plans - The time may be right for your forever home if you have a good idea of what your life will look like in 10 or 20 years from now. For a forever home purchase to make sense, it should be somewhere you intend to live for the next decade at least.
If you can confidently check all these boxes, then the time may be right for you to start thinking about the move into your forever home.
At Sunset Homes, we are there to help you realize your dream custom home Ready to design and build your forever home in Calgary? Contact Sunset Homes today! We would love to learn more about your custom project and prepare a class 3 summary budget for you.
Too Long Didn’t Read (TLDR)
There is a true demand for forever custom homes in Calgary. If you are ready to plan your home to live in the next decade and adapt it to your future needs, you are ready to build your forever custom home